Chocolate ice cream that is healthy for you? Yes, it’s possible. Not only does this Chocolate-Avocado Ice Cream provide a healthy alternative when you want something sweet, but the cacao is rich in plant-based nutrients like flavonoids (polyphenols) that help the liver. Add to those benefits the anti-inflammatory omega-3s in the avocado and their ability to raise dopamine, the feel-good hormone in your brain, and it’s easy to see why this recipe makes it into my book BRAIN BODY DIET
Serves 2 to 4
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
1 can (13½ ounces) full-fat coconut milk (BPA-free)
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup xylitol
½ cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon sea salt
- Place the avocado and coconut milk into a food processor or blender to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and blend for about 2 minutes, until smooth. You may need to scrape the sides.
- Ice cream machine method: Place into a freezer-safe
container in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set up before freezing.
- Prepare and freeze the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Hand method: Place into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 1 hour.
- Over the next 3 to 4 hours, remove the mixture from the freezer and
whisk the mixture slightly every 20 minutes to prevent it from getting
too icy. It should thicken after each whisking until it’s firm enough to
- Prior to serving, let the ice cream thaw for 5 to 10 minutes.