Avocado is one of the original superfoods that contain healthy fats. They play a vital role in reducing neuroinflammation and anxiety. Avocados are also good for your heart health because they are rich in monounsaturated fat, thought to be protective. However, depending on the diet you are following, you may want to limit your weekly intake.
Don’t hold back when adding cilantro and scallions to the topping on this egg avocado bake. Scallions belong to the allium family of veggies that also include garlic and leeks. They help you make more glutathione, which if you have read my book YOUNGER, you’ll know it is one of the most powerful antioxidants in your body. Literally, the queen of detoxifiers. It protects cells by cleaning up excess free radicals, the enemy agents with unpaired electrons that damage DNA, cell membranes, and proteins. This recipe is a great choice for a fabulously healthy and tasty brunch.
Eggs (1 egg per avocado half, or 2 per whole avocado)
Hot sauce (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro, scallions, and hot chilies for optional toppings
- Halve an avocado and remove the pit. Leave the skin on.
- Scoop out some of the flesh (about 1 tablespoon) so you have a hole big enough for your egg. Repeat with remaining avocados.
- Put the avocados in a small baking dish. You want them to be sort of snug, so they don’t tip over. It helps to nestle the avocados in pie weights, dried beans, or coarse salt to keep them standing up straight. Pro tip: Put a couple of drops of hot sauce or whatever condiment you like in the hole before you add the egg.
- Crack one egg at a time into a small ramekin or glass. Slide an egg carefully into the hole of each avocado. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle any desired condiments over the avocado halves. I like to use a little pesto or chimichurri here.
- Bake at 450°F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until your egg whites are set and the yolks are still a little runny.
- Douse with some greens or toppings (cilantro, scallions, and hot chilies are all delicious options)!