Like many of us, you probably overindulged this holiday season. While I strive to think and act differently around the holidays with all their temptations, I can always benefit from a reset and some focused detoxification once January comes around. This Love Your Liver tonic is an anti-inflammatory powerhouse. Turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, chard, and beets are all particularly potent combatants of inflammation. They target the inflammatory pathways, working from the gut to prevent neurodegenerative disease and introduces antioxidants. One of my pillars of health is a pound of veggies a day. Remember that blended veggies count toward your daily pound. Just be sure to drink the pulp by using a high-powered blender when making my Love Your Liver tonic.
Makes 3 to 4 servings
6 cups of filtered water
2 medium beets, peeled and sliced
2- inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
2-inch piece of fresh turmeric, peeled and chopped
2 cinnamon sticks
1 cup broccoli sprouts
4–5 large leaves of red chard
8–10 leaves of dandelion greens
½ cup of fresh mint leaves
Juice of one red grapefruit
- Place water, beets, and cinnamon sticks in large pot over high heat.
- Bring to boil, and cook until beets are tender, approximately 45 minutes.
- Strain beets and discard water and cinnamon sticks.
- Blend beets, ginger, turmeric, chard, dandelion greens, mint, and grapefruit juice in a high- powered blender; add mixture to pot.
- Let tonic heat over low flame for another hour or two.
- Strain tonic through a mesh strainer to remove leaves, roots, and pulp.
Serve warm or cold.