One of my favorite soups to make is Thai Coconut Soup. This one is sugar-free, which makes it a perfect recipe for when you are following my HORMONE RESET DIET. It contains MCT oil that helps to reduce inflammation and boosts metabolism.
It’s super simple to make this Thai Coconut Soup and it’s so delicious. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Kaffir lime leaves are sometimes hard to find. The zest and juice of one lime can be substituted.
Scroll down to watch Dr. Sara make this soup in her kitchen!
Makes 6 to 8 servings
1 large piece of Chinese ginger, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 whole cardamom pods
2 stalks lemongrass
10–12 kaffir lime leaves
6 cups low- sodium chicken broth
1 pound free-range, organic chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
1 13.5- ounce can organic unsweetened coconut milk
3 tablespoons fish sauce
Chili oil and cilantro leaves for serving
- Remove base of lemongrass stalks with a sharp knife and discard tough outer layer.
- Chop lemongrass stalks into 2- inch pieces and toss into a blender
with chopped ginger, kaffir limes, and garlic cloves.
- Pulse blender a few times until most ingredients form a pulp.
- Add blended ingredients plus 2 cardamom pods to large stock pan over medium-high flame for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add chicken stock. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes to allow flavors to infuse.
- Strain stock through a fine sieve into a large clean pan.
- Add chicken and mushrooms to stock and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Stir in can of coconut milk and fish sauce.
- Garnish with chili oil and fresh cilantro leaves.