Over recent years, I have been interviewed by Gwyneth Paltrow and her goop lifestyle brand about perimenopause and hormones as well as other popular topics such as the ketogenic diet, stubborn weight loss and the secrets to staying younger.
Perimenopause & Menopause
Women in their 40s and 50s are hungry for information on another way of doing things when it comes to their health. Is it advisable to take hormones during perimenopause or menopause? What kind? Bioidentical or synthetic? I sat down with GP to tackle many of these topics:
- How hormones get thrown off around perimenopause and menopause
- Where stress and cortisol come into play
- What a woman should consider before taking hormones
- What kind of hormones do I prescribe? What’s the difference between bioidentical and synthetic hormones.
Listen to the goop podcast where I chat with GP on Resetting Hormones, Weight & the Conversation around Women’s Health
Why You’re Not Losing Weight
One of the questions I get asked the most is how to lose stubborn belly fat. Often the answer lies with your hormones. I was interviewed by goop to share my approach to weight loss. We covered the following topics:
- Why the one calorie in, one calorie out is not the best approach to weight loss.
- The typical hormonal imbalances that make it difficult to lose weight, particularly belly fat
- How we can reset our hormones
- How to tell when your hormones are out of balance and what tests to do
- Tips on breaking food addictions
Metabolism and Weight Loss
Do you find yourself unable to shed weight like you used to? Do you feel your metabolism has stalled? What can you do to counteract this?
In this Q&A I tackle these questions that so many women have, particularly those going through perimenopause and on.
In this detailed Q&A about my research on the ketogenic diet and ketosis, I cover the following topics:
- What is ketosis?
- Why would someone want to be in nutritional ketosis? Who do you recommend it for?
- Do you recommend keto for weight loss
As well as the most important question: what about keto for women for whom keto does not seem to help with weight loss resistance?
Understanding—and Healing—the Female Brain-Body Connection
The female brain-body connection is dramatically different from the male brain-body connection. In this goop Q&A, I explain the functional differences that may put women at an increased risk of developing conditions like anxiety, depression, and insomnia. I discuss topics such as:
- What is the brain-body connection?
- What are the common signs of an imbalanced brain-body connection?
- Are men and women affected by the brain-body connection differently? What role do our hormones play in our cognitive and mental health?
- What effect do environmental toxins have on the brain? Where do they come from, and how can we protect ourselves against them?
- How do you treat brain fog? And how do you approach anxiety?
I believe we have an extraordinary amount of control over how we age and the length of our healthspan. Read my full Q&A with goop here. I answer the following questions:
- How does lifestyle vs. genes vs. the interaction of the two contribute to signs of aging and disease?
- What’s inflammaging, and what are the big factors behind it?
- Which genes most affect aging?
- How can exercise have a positive impact on your skin?
- Can lifestyle changes affect Alzheimer’s?
- What are simple adjustments we can make that help us age more healthfully and gracefully?
Health Benefits of Chocolate
The health benefits of dark chocolate are widely varied and impressive. I shared my thoughts on chocolate including a discussion on the research on the benefits of chocolate, how much we can eat and which kind is best.